The coat of arms of the Prince of Liechtenstein has been used as the country’s greater coat of arms since 1719. That is when the two baronial estates of Vaduz and Schellenberg were elevated to the status of Imperial Principality.
Since the dying out of the other family lines, the coat of arms has been used by all members of the Princely House of Liechtenstein.
The arms of the Princely House proper are used as the lesser arms of Liechtenstein.
More information on this can be found in the Law on the Coats of Arms, Colors, Seals and Emblems of the Principality of Liechtenstein (Coat of Arms Act).