The Princely Collections have been built up by the Princes of Liechtenstein over centuries. In the post-war period, the Princely Family had to sell some important artistic treasures to secure its own survival.
Thanks to the active purchasing policy of the reigning Prince Hans-Adam II, within a short time over 1000 new acquisitions have been made and the art collection has been permanently expanded.
Part of the Princely Collections can be seen at the Garden Palace and the City Palace in Vienna. These two architectural jewels have belonged to the Princely House of Liechtenstein for over 300 years. Prince Hans-Adam II had both buildings comprehensively renovated and they reopened in 2004 and 2013, respectively.